Petra Diamonds Bursary South Africa
ABOUT THE COMPANY – PETRA DIAMONDS
Petra Diamonds Ltd, founded in 1997 by Adonis Pouroulis, is a diamond mining group with interests in 8 producing mines across Tanzania and South Africa, as well as a Botswana based exploration programme. The companies goal has moved from exploration to production, making them one of Africa’s biggest independent diamond producers.
The company owns the Cullinan Diamond Mine, infamously known for producing the largest polished and rough diamond in the world.
In South Africa, Petra Diamonds operates 4 underground kimberlite diamond producing mines, which include Finsch; Kimberley Underground; Cullinan and Koffiefontein.
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED, COVERAGE VALUE & SERVICE CONTRACT
Each year, Petra Diamonds award bursaries to South African students who wish to pursue their careers in the mining sector and wish to make a positive contribution to the country.
The bursary programme is administered by Career Wise, who are responsible for accepting, scanning and shortlisting candidates. Shortlisted students must attend a panel interview assessment and final selection will be made by Petra Diamonds.
Bursaries will be awarded to students who are currently studying (or intend on studying) towards a mining related qualification, specifically within one of the following fields:
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Metallurgy Engineering
- Mine Survey
The following expenses will be covered by the bursary award: tuition fees, accommodation, meals, cash and travel allowance.
Students will be required to take part in practical vacation work during the December and January holidays, and once graduated, work for Petra Diamonds for a period equal to their bursary award.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- South Africa citizen
- Completed Matric OR currently in Matric
- Achieved a minimum overall average of 60% for current year of study
- Studying or intend on studying within one of the aforementioned fields of study
- Studying or intend on studying full time at a recognised University or University of Technology
- Achieved good tertiary academic results if currently studying at University or University of Technology
- Willing to relocate to rural areas (mining areas) if required
- Have a clear criminal record
- Medically fit to work underground and in the mining environment
- Interested in working in the Mining industry
- Proven financial need
- *Preference will be given to students from local mining communities
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
You may apply in one of the following ways:
1) Online at: http://cw.gradx.net/
(You will need to register an account and then login to complete your application. The promo code to be used is: F2018)
2) By downloading and completing the Petra Diamonds Career Wise Bursary Application Form (.pdf)
You will be required to submit copies of the following supporting documentation – if you are applying online: these documents must be uploaded to your online profile, if you are applying with the application form: you must attach copies of the documents and not originals (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Photograph (passport size)
- Grade 11 final results (current Matric students)
- Proof of admission into a tertiary institution (current Matric students)
- Matric certificate (if completed Matric)
- Full academic record to date (current tertiary students)
If you are applying via the hard copy application form, your application must be submitted in one of the following ways:
1) Email: email@example.com
2) Fax: 086 609 7183
Career Wise (Pty) Ltd
PO Box 30632
1 June annually
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact Career Wise directly:
Tel: 086 100 8777 / 086 100 7787
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com