ABOUT THE COMPANY – BHP
BHP (previously named “BHP Billiton”) is the one of the top resource companies and producers of major commodities (like copper, metallurgical coal and iron ore) in the world. They extract and process oil, minerals and gas, which is sold worldwide. With headquarters in Melbourne, Australia, BHP have over 60 000 employees and contractors
BHP Billiton was established in 2001 via a merger between Anglo–Dutch Billiton plc and BHP (Broken Hill Proprietary Company Limited). The company is headquartered in Perth, Australia.
As of 2017, BHP Billiton scaled-down and became BHP, while Billiton rebranded to South32. The company aims to own and operate cost-efficient, long-life, expandable assets which are varied by geography, commodity and market.
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED & COVERAGE VALUE
Bursaries will be awarded within the following fields:
- Chemical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Extractive Metallurgy Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mine Surveying
- Mining Engineering
Bursary awards will cover the following expenses: registration costs, tuition, prescribed books, exam fees, accommodation and meals at university residence, and an allowance.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- South African citizen/ permanent resident,
- Currently in Matric or have completed Matric,
- Students applying for a bursary for Engineering, Science and Geology degrees: must have achieved a minimum of level 6 for Mathematics and Science,
- Students applying for a bursary for Accounting degrees: must have achieved a minimum of level 6 for Mathematics,
- Accepted to study at a recognised South African tertiary institution.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
Download and complete the BHP Billiton Bursary Application Form (pdf).
Alternatively, you can apply online at: www.careerwise.co.za/index.php?pg=application_forms
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy),
- Photograph (passport size),
- Grade 11 final results (if currently in Matric) OR Matric certificate (certified copy) (if completed Matric),
- Tertiary students: Latest academic results,
- Proof of enrollment/ acceptance to study at a tertiary institution.
Complete application forms and supporting documentation must be submitted in one of the following ways:
1) Email: AndreB@careerwise.co.za
2) Fax: 086 602 8949
3) Post: Career Wise (Pty) Ltd
PO Box 30632, Braamfontein, 2017
30 May annually.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact Careerwise directly:
Corporate Recruitment and Bursary Services
Tel: 011 484 7505